Frequently Asked Questions
Ferndale Police DepartmentFind/How Do I?Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

$Expand=File&$orderby=Order asc
I've called the police! How long before I get the police here?,

Calls for service are prioritized according to the seriousness of the call and the availability of police units on the road. Calls for service classified for immediate response may involve injuries that require medical attention and major crimes in progress. Officers will be cleared from other calls to respond to these types of calls. We realize it is frustrating when the police take a long time to respond to your call, or when we cannot give you an accurate estimate of when we will respond, but life is unpredictable and officers assigned to your call may be redirected to respond to a more serious call. The Ferndale Police Department is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year so your call for service will be answered.

When do I call 911?,

Only call 911 for actual emergencies! For non-emegencies and information, you may call the front desk at 248-541-3650. This website and the City of Ferndale webite will keep you informed of up coming events.​

I've locked my keys in the car! Can you help me?,

Call the Ferndale Police Non-Emergency Line at 248-541-3650 for assistance.​

Somebody stole my license plate! Will you take the report?,

If your license plate was stolen in the City of Ferndale, you should call the Non-Emergency line at the dispatch center 248-541-3650. ​

How do I call Animal Control?,

The City of Ferndale no longer offers Animal Control services. Oakland County Animal Control now handles most calls for service that relate to dogs Monday thru Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.  Oakland County Animal Control also handles animal bite complaints. Oakland County Animal Control can be contacted directly at 248-391-4100. Oakland County Animal Control can aslo be contacted by calling the Ferndale Police Dispatch at 248-541-3650. Oakland County Animal Control does not handle pest control issues or stray cats.  Unwanted cats can be turned over to the Oakland County Animal Shelter located at 1700 Brown Road, Auburn Hills Michigan 48236. If there is a serious situation that involves an animal after hours, the Ferndale Police Department Dispatch Center can reach an Animal Control officer after hours. Contact the Dispatch Center on the non-emergency line at 248-541-3650. ​

Can I make a report with the Ferndale Police Department if the crime or accident occurred outside the city?,

No. Even though you may live here, we can only take reports of crimes or accidents that occur within our city limits. You will have to contact the jurisdiction where the incident occured to file a police report. ​

How much will my bond be?,

Felony charges and domestic violence offenses will not have a bond. Misdemeanor offense bonds will depend on a number of factors, inlcluding the type of offense and the state of the defendant. You may contact the 43rd District Court. ​

Can you tell me if someone has been arrested?,

We can tell you if they are in the police station, at the court, or if we transported them to the Oakland County Jail. In certain situations, we will release what charges they are facing, but for specific information we may refer you to the Freedom of Information Act. ​

How do I get a copy of a police report?,

You may obtain copies of a police report if you are involved in an accident or if you are the victim of a crime by bringing your picture identification and $4.00 (for incident reports) or $4.00 (for accident reports) to the Ferndale Police Records Department, open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. PRIOR TO REQUESTING A POLICE REPORT OR ACCIDENT REPORT-PLEASE CALL THE RECORDS BUREAU AT 248-546-2386 FOR THE AVAILABILITY OF THE DOCUMENT. ​

When can I make a missing person report?,

Usually the person must be missing for 24 hours. However, if the missing person is a minor, or if there are extenuating circumstances, the Ferndale Police Department will take a missing persons report immediately. ​

How do I get a Personal Protection Order (PPO)?,

You must go to the Oakland County Prosecutor's office located in the County Complex at 1200 Telegraph Road ( north of the Oakland Pointe and Summit Place Mall shopping centers). ​

The court ordered me to submit to regular Preliminary Breath Tests (PBTs), can you help me?,

Yes, Preliminary Breath Tests (PBTs) can be administered at the front desk of the Police Department. There are certain restrictions however:

1. You must be a Ferndale Resident or;
2. Your court order must originate out of the 43rd Dist Court Ferndale Division.
3.You must pre-pay the $10 per test fee at the Ferndale Records Bureau in advance in increments of 5 or 10(e.g. $50 or $100).
4. Tests are conducted between 12:00 am to 9:30 am.
5. You must present Identification at the time of each test.
I let my friend stay with me for a few days and now he/she won't leave! Can you throw him/her out for me?,

Unfortunately, now that you have let him/her stay, even for one night, he can claim he/she can claim that he/she has established residency. If he/she refuses to leave, you must go through the formal eviction process at the 43rd District Court to make it legal for him/her to be thrown out. This is a civil matter. ​

Where do I register my gun?,

You may register it at the Ferndale Police Department Records Bureau. Bring in picture identification on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. There is no charge for this service, however if a notarized signature is required there will be a $10.00 fee. ​

Where do I go for police clearance?,

You may obtain clearance at the Ferndale Police Department Records Bureau, Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. For a local clearance you must bring in:

  • picture identification
  • $5.00

Fingerprinting for police clearance cost $10.00 and is only done Tuesdays and Wednesdays form 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Fingerprinting for police clearance is done for Ferndale residents only.